These are my top 5 cringeworthy words. I hate them and every time I hear them or read them on social media, I do a mental shiver and usually say “Ewww” out loud.
1. Lover: Everyone all together now…. Ewwwww! I can’t be the only one that hates this word. If someone posts it as a status update on Facebook, as in “I’m having dinner with my lover.” or, even worse, in person when you meet them for the first time, and you hear “This is my lover” Ewww, ewww, ewww! I get that when you reach a certain age the words boyfriend or girlfriend can sound a little weird, but there is really no reason to ever use the word lover. Grab a thesaurus for pete’s sake. I’d even prefer “friends with benefits” to hearing “lover”. Ewww!
2. Kumquat: Yes, I know it’s a small citrus fruit, but really, what can you do with them? It’s not like you’re going to every say to someone, “You know what I could go for right now? A big glass of Kumquat juice!” or even better, posting on Facebook, “My lover is so thoughtful. He knows how much I love Kumquats!” Ewwwww!
3. Fart: Okay, I have to blame my mother for this one. Growing up in our family this was the “F-word” and saying it would bring down the wrath of mom on you. Besides being the “you’re going to be in so much trouble for saying the F-word” it was also something that ladies didn’t and still don’t do. Really, my mother said so.
4. Brain Fart: See above. Even if you add the word brain in front of it, it’s still the “F-word” and if ladies don’t do that, then certainly brains don’t do it either.
5. Polar Vortex: Last winter was the first time I ever heard that term. We had a bitter cold winter and once it was over, I never wanted to hear it again. Fast forward to this winter and the term Polar Vortex was thrown about and we had the worst winter ever. If I ever hear Polar Vortex again, it will be too soon.
What words do you hate?